The victim was 80-year-old Sarah Clements, and the cause of the blaze, according to a report from state fire investigators, was unattended cooking. The fire was ruled accidental.
The home, located at 140 E. Clinton St., was destroyed. A report from the Gray Fire Department lists Lynn Hammer, who also lived at the home, as being transported to the Medical Center due to moderate injuries.
Firefighter and Jones County’s Deputy Emergency Management Director Bill Wright was also hospitalized after he suffered heat exhaustion at the fire scene. Wright has since been released and is reportedly doing well.
The GFD report of the fire, approved by Gray Fire Chief Max Wood, stated the fire department was dispatched to the blaze at 9:29 a.m. July 18 and arrived at 9:38 a.m.
For the full story, pick up a copy of this week's newspaper or subscribe to our e-Edition at http://ee.jcnews.com.