Computer classes at Jones County CGTC
A beginner computer class is being offered in Gray by Central Georgia Technical College. The class comes with instructional time and a book for $89; payment must be made before the date of the first class. For more information, please call 986-1123.
Labor Day folklife celebration
Step back in time this Labor Day weekend by visiting Jarrell Plantation Historic Site. Join them Saturday, September 1, from 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. as they celebrate the hard work and ingenuity of the Georgia farmers that labored to keep their plantation alive through General Sherman’s “March to the Sea,” industrialization, and the cotton boll weevil, with living history demonstrations, house tours, and activities for the whole family. Established in 1847, and owned by a single family for over 125 years, Jarrell Plantation is one of the few remaining examples of a vanishing culture. It is located southeast of Juliette, 18 miles from I-75 Forsyth exit #185 or 18 miles north of Macon exit #171. Admission is $4 - $6.50. For more information, visit www.gastateparks.org/jarrellplantation or call 478-986-5172.
Wilkinson County class of 1984 meeting
The Wilkinson County High School class of 1984 will be having a meeting, Saturday, September 1, at 5 p.m. at Hibachis restaurant in Milledgeville, 1181 North Columbia Street. The topic will be the 35th reunion taking place in 2019. For more information, contact Joe 979-0273 or Cathy 233-1825.
Wesley men’s chorus
Wesley men’s chorus is beginning to work on their holiday season/ Christmas music program. Starting Tuesday, September 4, and every following Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. at Wesley Music in Downtown Gray. They also welcome boys whose parents will stay with their child and youth who can drive. There are no membership fees and there is no audition. There is no charge for music unless you wish to keep it. If you are interested in singing with them, contact Glenn W. Harrell at 986-7093 or email@example.com. You must give advance notice of your intent to sing with the chorus.
Public health meeting
Jones County Board of Public Health will be having a meeting, Wednesday, September 5, at 5:30 p.m., at the Jones County School System Central Office, 125 Stewart Avenue in Gray.
JCS Title I meetings
Clifton Ridge Middle School will hold its annual Title I parent meeting September 5 at 5:30 p.m. and September 6 at 7:30 a.m. in the Parent Resource Center. There are two sessions for parent’s convenience. All parents and families are encouraged to attend.
Gray Station Middle School will hold its annual Title I parent meeting on September 13 at 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. in the Professional Learning Room. There are two session times for parent’s convenience. All parents and families are encouraged to attend. Jones County High School will hold its annual Title I parent meeting on September 20 at 5:30 p.m. and September 21 at 9 a.m. There are two session times for parent’s convenience. All parents and families are encouraged to attend.
JCHS school council
Jones County school council will meet on Monday, September 10 at 6 p.m. in the main conference room. Interested parent and community members are welcome to attend.
Animal Control Meeting
The monthly animal control meeting will be on Monday, September 10, at 6:30 p.m. in the EMA building.
Fall 2018 Ocmulgee Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) training for new volunteers will be Tuesday, September 11, at 5 p.m., at the CASA office, 100 S. ABC Street, Milledgeville (inside the Early Learning Center). For more information, please call 478-452-9170.
Teachers’ appreciation reception
Jones County History and Heritage will be hosting a reception to show appreciation of to teachers and educators. This reception will be held in the Museum of Education located in the W.E. Knox Civic Center on Thursday, September 13, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. All teachers, currently teaching and retired, are welcome to attend.
Dudley M. Hughes reunion
The Dudley M. Hughes class of 1968 will be hosting a school reunion, Saturday, September 29. Classes from 1964 to 1972 are invited to attend. For more information, please contact Peggy Richitt Castrovillari at 478-972-2845, Lillian Barlow Shapard at 770-228-5934, or email DudleyHughesReunion1968@aol.com.
Maggie Califf Class of 1968 reunion
Maggie Califf High School Class of 1968 is planning their 50th class reunion for Oct. 6, 2018. For more information, contact Ada Redding at 478-319-1920 or Larry Tuft at 478-283-1209.
St. James AME Church
St. James AME Church, 367 Hungerford Road, Gray, will be celebrating their revival, Wednesday, August 29 with Rev. Wilbur Greene of New Damascus Baptist; Thursday, August 30, with Rev. James Andrews of North Corinth Green Grove Baptist Church; and Friday, August 31, with Rev. Lee Wornam of Eason Baptist Church. For additional information, please call 986-5854.
Ellis Chapel Baptist Church
Ellis Chapel Baptist Church is sponsoring a trip to Noah’s Ark in Williamtowns, Kentucky, September 14-16. They will be staying at Holiday Inn and Suites. The price of the trip is $100 for the bus ride and $50 for the tick to Noah’s Ark and the lunch voucher. The rooms are $122.71 per night for two nights. When making your reservation, call 859-493-0900 and use code Ellis Chapel Baptist Church. For more information, call Lizzie Hardy at 986-9105 or 491-0090.
• The JCHS Alumni Chapter meets the second Monday of every month at 6:30 p.m. inside the JCHS lunchroom. Membership is open to anyone, even if they were not a former FFA member.
• Al-Anon meets every Tuesday and Thursday at 126 Senior Center Way at 8:00 p.m. For information, call 986-7885.
• AA meets at the American Legion Building every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 8:00 p.m. For more information, call 986-3207.
• St. Paul AME Church will be having a clothing bank every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. at 127 Saint Paul Church Circle.
• Narconon of Georgia offers help for drug and alcohol addiction. For more information, call Narconon of Georgia at 1-877-413-3073 or visit www.drugsno.com. Narconon offers referrals, free assessments, drug education and outpatient rehabilitation.
• The Jones County Kiwanis Club meets every Monday in the fellowship hall of Gray Baptist Church at 6:30 p.m.
• New Harvest Church of God, 12689 Highway 87, Juliette, hosts a community prayer service every Monday in the sanctuary at 6:30 p.m.; it does not end until everyone is finished praying. Everyone is invited. For more information, contact pastor Mark Moore, (478) 993-6705, or Tina McMurray, (478) 957-7299.
• The Gray City Council meets the first Monday of each month at the D.V. Childs Civic Center at 6:00 p.m.
• The Gray Jaycees meet the 2nd Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at Gray 8 Skate
• The Jones County High School Softball Booster Club meets the first Monday of each month in the high school lunchroom at 6:30 p.m.
• American Legion Post 142 meets the first Monday of each month at 314 Old Clinton Road (directly behind Tri-County EMC) at 6:30 p.m. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Jones County Cruisers meet the first Monday of each month at Agave Azul Mexican Restaurant at 7:00 p.m. For more information, call Tim Stewart, 361-8117.
• The Gray Downtown Development Authority meets the second Monday of each month in the conference room at City Hall at noon.
• The Jones County Amateur Radio Society (JCARS) meets the first Thursday of each month at the Jones County EMA office classroom on Industrial Boulevard in Gray at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Amateur Radio License testing begins at 5:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month at this same location. For more information, call Gary at 737-2077.
• The Jones County High School Touchdown Club meets the first Thursday of each month. For more information, contact Lee Perkins, (478) 973-2018.
• The Jones County Children In Care Parent’s Association meets the third Monday of each month at Elam Baptist Church from 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
• The Jones County Cruisers have their monthly cruisein the third Monday of each month at Chevy’s at 7:00 p.m. For more information, call Tim Stewart, 361-8117.
• The Jones County Democratic Party meets the fourth Monday of each month at the W.E. Knox Civic Center in the small conference room. Call Donald Black if you need more information.
• A prayer walk for all Jones County schools is held on the last Monday of each month during the school year, 6:30 p.m., at the JCHS track. For more information, contact Alisa Walton, 733-2123 or PrayerWalking4jcschools@yahoo.com.
• The City of Gray Historic Preservation Commission meets the first Tuesday of each month in City Hall’s conference room at 6:00 p.m.
• The Marine Corps League Detachment #970 meets the first Tuesday of each month at United Community Church, 2411 Heath Road, Macon, at 6:00 p.m. For further information, call Ed Barbee, 960-3917.
• The Sexual Assault Survivors (SAS) group meets the first Tuesday of each month at Reflections Psychotherapy LLC from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. For more information, call (706) 224-3396 or email email@example.com.
• The Jones County High School Band Boosters meet the first Tuesday of each month in the band room at 7:00 p.m.
• The Jones County Board of Commissioners meets the first and third Tuesday of each month in the Charlotte C. Wilson Conference Room at 6:00 p.m.
• The alumni of Whittle Elementary School, Spring Street, Macon, meet the second Tuesday of each month at Fresh Air Bar-BQue, 3070 Riverside Drive in Macon, at 11:30 a.m. For more information, call Mike King, (478) 994-6757, or email Bobby Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Old Capital Car Club meets the second Tuesday of each month at the IHOP, Wal-Mart Market Central, 2598 N. Columbia St. in Milledgeville, at 6:30 p.m. for dinner, followed by the meeting at 7:30 p.m. All auto enthusiasts are invited to attend. For more information, call (478) 453-0295.
• The Domestic Violence Survivors (DVS) group meets the third Tuesday of each month at Reflections Psychotherapy LLC from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. For more information, call (706) 224-3396 or email email@example.com.
• The Young At Heart covered-dish luncheon and program of First Baptist Church meets the last Tuesday of each month, 11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
• Greater Faith Revelational Outreach Ministries, 1501 Highway 22 East, Haddock, distributes free nonperishable canned goods every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This food bank ministry is free for those who are in need. Monetary donations, as well as canned goods, are also accepted. Their prayer line is also open from 11:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. Call 361-1303, 932-0142 or 932-5760.
• The Jones County Rotary Club meets every Wednesday in the banquet room of Chevy’s Pizza Restaurant.
• The Keep Jones Beautiful Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month at the W.E. Knox Civic Center in the Tammy Brittain Conference Room at 11:00 a.m.
• Hearts Of Love Covenant Community Medical Clinic, 221 Gray Highway, Gray, is open every Thursday from 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., with a physician and three PAs there. Income eligibility requirements must be met. For more information, contact the clinic director, Goldie Hicks, 731-9961, or Beth Fox, office manager, 361-1554.
• Greater Faith is sponsoring “Men Laying It On The Line” every Thursday from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
• New Hope Baptist Church meets every Thursday at 7:00 p.m. for their prayer vigil and community visitation.
• Greater Faith is sponsoring a Christ-centered drug addiction and alcohol treatment program every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the church sanctuary. Prayer time and Bible study are from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. For more information, contact Lavonne Reaves: church, 932-5760; home, 452-2708.