Hot Cross Buns
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp instant yeast
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp clove powder
1 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Icing
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 ounces 2 tbsps cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbsp water
• Grease a 8”x12” cooking sheet.
• Start by placing the milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set mixture until frothy.
• Now, sift the flour, salt and spices into a large bowl. Then mix the butter in the flour mixture until it becomes a crumble like texture.
• Stir in the eggs, yeast mixture and raisins. Combine until a dough forms.
• Put dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
• Place dough into a large oiled bowl and cover with Saran wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size. Remove the wrap and punch down on the dough.
• Knead again till smooth and divide into 12 large rolls.
• Set aside for another 15-20 minutes for rolls to rise.
• Preheat oven to 400 F.
• While rolls are rising, whisk all the icing ingredients together and spoon into a piping bag with a round tip and refrigerate until ready to use.
• Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake for additional 15 minutes.
• Remove from oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Using the icing, pipe down the center of each row and then across each row to create a cross on each bun.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Energy 240 kcal................................ 11%
Protein 7.07 g ................................... 13%
Total lipid (fat) 4.15 g ................... 9%
Carbohydrate 42.66 g.................. 17%
Water 42.38 g