Theft suspect arrested after leaving hospital

SHERIFF’S OFFICE

The first of several arrests anticipated in a recent entering auto rampage in the River North Subdivision took place after the suspect was released from the hospital.

Thalley Lewis, 20, was arrested Sept. 7, and charged with theft by taking felony, entering automobile or other motor vehicle with intent to commit theft of felony, possession of a firearm or knife during the commission or attempt to commit certain felonies.

Jones County Sheriff Office Investigator Lt. Kenny Gleaton said the first call about the crimes was received by JCSO at 3 a.m. Sept. 1. He said the call was from an individual on Whispering Pines Drive, who had just heard someone driving his car out of his driveway.

Gleaton said officers responded to the call, and JCSO Deputy Matthew Dennis met three vehicles leaving the area and turned around to pursue. He said the chase entered Bibb County, and the cars separated.

The investigator said Dennis stuck with a Honda CRV. The chase ended at a dead-end street, and the occupants of the SUV fled on foot. Gleaton said there were about 30 reports of entering autos in River North Sept. 1. He said stolen items from those crimes were found in the Honda.

Gleaton said a short time later, one of the other cars Dennis was pursuing, a Toyota 4Runner, was found wrecked, and the driver inside the vehicle had a leg injury. He said the driver, Lewis, was taken to the hospital.

The lieutenant said Lewis was arrested Sept. 7 after he was released from the hospital. Gleaton said a firearm was found inside the 4Runner, but previous reports that the driver had been shot were not accurate.

Gleaton said three stolen cars were involved in the Sept. 1 thefts. The 4Runner and a 2020 Ford Explorer were stolen from the River North neighborhood, and the Honda CRV was reported stolen in Macon the previous day.

He said the Explorer was later recovered behind Baconsfield.

The investigator said many of the items stolen from the vehicles had been recovered, including purses, wallets, three firearms and phones. He said several phones and guns were found in the Honda.

He noted that none of the vehicles involved in the entering autos or thefts had been locked.

Gleaton said Lewis did not make a statement to investigators and has been released on bond.

“We are still processing the evidence and are working with Bibb County,” he said.

The lieutenant said the investigation is ongoing, and he is anticipating several more arrests. He said there were at least two people in the Honda.

Anyone with information about the incidents is asked to call the JCSO at 478-986-3489 or submit information using the JSCO app.